Wednesday, June 16, 2010

China

For a wedding gift we were given some china. We also have a few place settings of the china we registered for. And I can probably count on one hand the number of times we have used it over the last 4 1/2 years.

Why?

Because it might get broken, of course!!! :0) Or perhaps just chipped. I mean really, who would let their 1- 2- or 3-year-old use the good dishes? The CHINA!?! So it has remained in the cabinet all this time. I might get it out on our anniversary or at Christmas. But then I have the chore of having to wash it. Because of course I wouldn't want it to be put in the dishwasher!

I have so much "Suter" in me! Ha ha



Then I had this precious daughter who now lives in Heaven that will never get to break my china. She'll never even get to chip it. In fact, because of her I have this longing for Heaven, more than ever! Yes, I still like the nice things here on Earth, but they are not so "untouchable" to me anymore. Because they are temporary and Heaven is eternal.

Ella is having trouble understanding that she will not take her toys to Heaven. She has certain things she wants to take to Audrey when she goes to Heaven, and I have tried to explain to her that we won't need to take anything with us. But we are all human and whether we are a child or an adult, we think our things are pretty nice. So nice that I would not want to use our "good dishes" in the event they might not stay nice. It makes me sad to think about that.

So I started a new tradition in the Huffstutler house. We are going to use the china dishes for Sunday dinner...every Sunday! No, I do not cook a huge fancy meal every Sunday, sometimes we just have sandwiches or left-overs, but we can still eat off of the good dishes! And they might get chipped or broken, but guess what I'm not taking them with me!! And no, I will never get to share my fancy dishes with Audrey, but she has used the china that belongs to the Lord!


Also, this post has two reasons it was titled "China." I would also like to ask you to pray for good friends of ours who will soon be travelling to China to get their daughter! After more than 4 years of waiting, God has blessed them with their sweet Kylie. She has grown in their hearts (although not in Jennifer's belly, like Ella is trying to grasp), and finally they will soon be holding her in their arms. So pray that their plans, funds, and travel arrangements will come together smoothly, and more importantly that the bond between them and Kylie will quickly form. Please stop by Jennifer's blog The Evans Family to read more of their story.

I read this the other night and was encouraged by it:
Psalm 40:5
Many, O Lord my God, are Your wonderful works which you have done; And Your thoughts toward us cannot be recounted to You in order; If I would declare and speak of them, They are more than can be numbered.

I cannot begin to count the number of times I have thought of Audrey, yet God has thought of me so much more. And He truly has done wonderful works.

The Lord gives. The Lord takes.
Blessed be the name of the Lord!

Love,
Becca

p.s. China dishes actually stay in better shape and last longer if they are used regularly! ;)

5 comments:

  1. I am just crying over this post. God has been working on Jim and I much in this same way. Helping us to see what is of eternal value and what is not - getting rid of this foolish American dream that we were clinging to. Loved this. Thanks Becca. I still pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful perspective on what really matters! I am daily praying for you, Becca! You are a phenominal wife and mom! God is really using you to glorify him! Thank you for this sweet reminder :) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Becca. I do this, too. I don't want to use up all of something I like (perfume, candles, etc.) saving things for some special occasion that never seems to roll around. God has been showing me the sanctity of every day & of course reminding me that today is all I am guaranteed. Thanks for the reminder to celebrate today & hold loosely all that is not eternal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally get it. Heaven isn't just a "place" anymore. It's where my son lives and I long for it too. I actually find myself getting a little jealous when others go to Heaven before me.

    My kids talk about Heaven all the time too. My 5 year old girls play with their dolls every day. Every single time they do, I hear them say that one of them got sick and went to Heaven.

    As much as I wish that our life was different, I am grateful that Heaven is an everyday topic in our house. I KNOW that my other kids are going to choose to walk with Jesus now because they want to see their brother again.

    Hugs,
    Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am guilty of not wanting to use some material possession of mine because it might get "messed up" in some way. What sillyness for thinking that way and thank you, Becca, for pointing it out. I'm glad you're choosing to enjoy your good dishes!

    ReplyDelete