Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Regrets...don't let them fester!!!

"...weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." Psalm 30:5


Nights are often hard.  Maybe because I am tired and worn out from the day.  Or possibly because I have kept my mind busy all day and when I go to bed is when I articulate things in my head.  I think of Audrey all the time, but it seems to be harder when details start playing out in my mind.  Things I wish I could have or would have done, or things I regret.


One thing I will never be able to change is that I did not have a blanket to cover Audrey with ... to tuck her in ... to keep her warm ... before they closed the casket.  I will never forget my hesitation, my yearn to say "STOP, WAIT!"  Maybe I could have grabbed a blanket to put over her.  Why, oh WHY didn't I do this one little thing?!?!?  I really struggle with this.  


Then I wake up the next morning and have a renewed sense of JOY in my heart.  It still hurts, and it always will, that I didn't do this one simple thing.  Oh I know it doesn't really matter.  She is with Christ and is perfect.  Her heart is healed, she has no problems with her body now, and she will forever and ever be safe with Jesus.  But I am still human, and sometimes feelings take over.


"What kind of Mother are you to forget something like this???"  I can just hear him saying...


Do you suppose it is the Devil lurking into my mind???  I do!  I really do!  I think he will use any and every way he can find to get me to start thinking about regrets, about what I miss, about how my heart aches for Audrey.  Don't get me wrong, as long as I am here and separated from my daughter I will always have an ache for her, a desire to hold her and talk to her.  But I think the devil is pretty pleased when I remain in that state of sadness and depression about what I am going through.  It is hard ... excruciating at times ... but nothing I cannot handle without God by my side.  And when I allow Him, the Lord Jesus, to be the focus of my thoughts, then and only then do I find the peace and joy that comes in the morning.


I pray the Lord will help me keep my focus on Him and the promises in His Word.  
1 Peter 1:6-7 "In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need by, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it be tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ."




Love,
Becca




3 comments:

  1. Becca,

    I actually just finished reading the book "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer (and blogged about it just now!). In the last chapter I jotted down this quote:

    "Think against your feelings; argue yourself out of the gloom they have spread; unmask the unbelief they have nourished; take yourself in hand, talk to yourself, make yourself look up from your problems to the God of the gospel; let evangelical thinking correct emotional thinking."

    What you have said is so true! It is easy to give in to our emotions (which are normal, by the way) and forget Who God is and how much He loves and cares for us. I am praying for you as you walk through this darkness. You are not alone! (Romans 8)

    A couple of years ago I went through a difficult time in my life. Hopefully some of what I shared will be an encouragement to you in some way:

    http://srwest2008.blogspot.com/2008/11/i-will-sing-praise.html

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. (Revelation 21:4 KJV)

    Until then...Hold on to Jesus! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have many regrets too about Taylor. I wish I had pictures made, I wish I had held him. I was in such shock and nobody mentioned that I should do any of those things... I too felt like a bad Mommy, and still hear that whisper occasionally. But I know who is trying to bring me down. Just know that we are still praying for you and that I have felt much of what you are going through.

    ReplyDelete