Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"Just A Minute"

Do you hear yourself saying this often?  I do.  While putting on mascara and Ella wants me to do something right then I say, "Just a minute."  Or when she wants to go somewhere.

"Just a minute."

Or when she wants me to get her a snack.

"Just a minute."

How about those days when life is hard, when I am struggling and I keep telling the Lord what I really want to change or how I want the hurt to go away but it seems like it is taking forever.  Or the idea of having to live with (or without) something or someone the rest of my life seems overwhelming...

And the Lord says to me,

"Just a minute."

Time governs our lives.  It does not govern God's.  God has no time, He has no beginning and no end.
John 8:58 "Before Abraham was born, I am"

As Max Lucado put it, "Not even God made God."
"He doesn't view history as a progression of centuries but as a single photo.  He captures your life, your entire life, in one glance.  He sees your birth and burial in one frame.  He knows your beginning and your end, because he has neither."  (It's NOT about me, Lucado, p 52.)

As I was trying to understand the difference between our eternal lives and our lives on earth that are bound by time, I realized it is impossible to understand.  But this example he gave helped me get a tiny glimpse of the difference.

"If grains of sand measured the two, how would they stack up?  Heaven would be every grain of sand on every beach on earth, plus more.  Earthly life, by contrast, would be one hundredth of one grain of sand."
(Lucado, p 53)

So think about your life here on this earth, the trials and hurts, the longing for things to change, the longing to see your loved one again.  Compared to the length of eternity, even if I was to live to be 100, when I look back to my time here on earth, it will be "Just a minute!"

Paul said in 2 Corinthians 4:17 "Our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory."

Am I willing to look at my life as one hundredth of a grain of sand?  That will only last a minute?
Lucado goes on to say:
"All about me," counsel says "Life is short--get out."
God's wisdom, however, says "Life is short--stay in."
"The brevity of life grants power to abide, not an excuse to bail.  Fleeting days don't justify fleeing problems.  Fleeting days strengthen us to endure problems." (p 54-55)

My problems or pain may never stop, but I know I can handle anything if it is for just a minute.  That is, if I handle it with God by my side, and according to His way of doing things.

Just think, we'll all be together in heaven...

in Just A Minute!!!


Love,
Becca

2 comments:

  1. Just stopping by really quick to say hi! I got your comment this morning and I'm so glad you found me. I will be sure to come back and read more about your and your sweet Thanks too for you sweet words about my Audrey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say that to my daughter often! I know looking back on this life it will seem like "just a minute" so I know I need to make the most of it now!

    ReplyDelete