Sunday, July 4, 2010

The price of freedom

Do you know how privileged we are to live in America???

Today is the anniversary of our country's independence.  That means cookouts, family get-togethers, and fireworks, right?

No.  I hope you have taken time this weekend to remember the sacrifices that have been, and are still being made for our freedom.  It is the reason we live the way we do in the United States of America.  I believe it is the greatest nation on Earth, and I hope you do too.  Remember those who gave, whether they gave some or gave all, to make this place great.  I know it is a day of celebration, but it still comes with a price.

Just like the freedom we have in Christ only comes with a price.  That being the shed blood of Jesus on the cross.  This morning our pastor talked about the empty cross and how it is not just a piece of jewelry or art.  It is a symbol of the hope we can have in Jesus Christ because he is no longer on that cross, and he is no longer in the tomb.  He is alive and offering us that freedom.  We can have it if we just ask Him!

As soon as the song started this morning, I could not stop the tears from running down my face.
"O Beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain...America, America, God shed His grace on thee."
We need to pray that our nation would turn back to God so that he can shed grace on us!  Pray for our President and for the leaders of our country.  And pray for Americans to get back on their knees.

Our worship leader was singing "I surrender all" for the invitation this morning and it was finally more than just an invitation song to me.  I started thinking about the white flag of surrender, the ones we heard about being offered to our troops during the start of the war in Iraq.  They were saying, I surrender, I give to you my life because I don't want to fight you.  They were giving their all to the ones who had come to help set them free from the tyranny.
Have you offered the white flag of surrender to Christ?  Are you willing to stop fighting Him, and let him rescue you from the oppression of this world?  Because He is offering it, all you have to do is hold up the white flag, surrender, and He will be there to help you, to save you from the war you are fighting.

I could put a whole list of people on here, but thank you to all of you who have helped secure our freedom.


And thank you to my Marine and those he fought with!



Carter Joy update:  She is doing well, gaining strength, and was moved to the PICU.  Her open heart surgery is scheduled for Thursday, so please continue to pray for this family.  Praise the Lord for her improvement, and we will continue to praise Him for however he works in this little life.

Don't forget to check back tomorrow to see who is the winner of the Blackberry Jam!!



Happy 4th of July!
Love,
Becca

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Rebecca and Chad.
    I was also reminded today that people NEED encouragement especially those who do not know Jesus. America is a great country and I am thankful I am able to serve our creator openly. We need to encourage others to do the same and lead the lost to Christ. He is our HOPE so we need to give that to others. In CHRIST we are truly free!!!
    Happy 4th!!WE love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 4th of July service at church was awesome and it gave me so much to think about. Thank you for recapping it with your blog to help me remind me and others as well.

    ReplyDelete