Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Seasons: Thorns or flowers?

Today is two months since Audrey was born.  It is hard to believe, just like it is hard to believe that Ella will be turning 4 this month!  I have to admit, I have gone through many seasons already and it is hard to not let bitterness start settling in.  But with the help and grace of God, I have had good days and I have had joy.  The really hard days still come, but I am thankful that they also go.  It is not easier or better, but healing is taking place and the pain has been lessened on some days. 


"Instead of the thornbush will grow the pine tree, and instead of briers the myrtle will grow. This will be for the LORD's renown, for an everlasting sign, which will not be destroyed."  Isaiah 55:13

I read this verse in my devotions the other day and it got me thinking.  I thought about how easily the weeds and thorns grow, I am constantly fighting them in my flower beds and it hurts when I grab a thorn.  They are persistent and it does not take much for them to grow.  They do not require water or fertilizer.  They are there, waiting ... lurking.  Constantly coming back.

My flowers, on the other hand, require care.  A lot of it.  They need water or they will die, and if the weeds become too think the flowers will not even grow.  The weeds will literally take over.  

Then I think about what happens when I care for them and take the time to let them grow.  The flowers are beautiful and breathtaking.  The work is worth it in the end!

I think about my life, and how easily the weeds and thorns will take over if I just sit back and let them grow.  The thoughts and feelings will take over.  It does not take work to have a bad attitude or feel sad and depressed.  But the results will be weeds and thorns. 

On the other hand, I can work at my walk with the Lord.  Nurture and water it and it will grow.  It will be a daily process, but I trust the outcome from all that work will be like the beautiful flowers that I see when I keep the weeds out of my flower beds.  That is what I want others to see in me.  And the only way they will see that beauty, is if I let the love of Jesus shine through me.  

And that, my friends, takes work! 

There are other ways to get rid of weeds.  I can use the 12-month weed killer, and that will get rid of the weeds but it will also get rid of the flowers.  But any of you who have used this know that it doesn't get rid of the weeds completely.  There is no easy fix!  No 800 number or website you can go to where they can make this change for you.  It is a process, a daily surrender to Him that today I will seek Him and live for Him.  

Yes, I struggle, and I bet you do too!  That is OK!!!!!!  If you are having a rough day then work through it and talk to the Lord a lot, but do not let it take over and grow bitterness in your life!  Let yourself weep, grieve, or cry, but do it while you lean on the Lord.  He will help you through those hard days.  And keep "weeding" your life daily so when these times come you will know where to turn and run.  Just make sure you run to the Lord and nobody {nothing} else!

And remember, these seasons will return.  Every spring I have to get rid of the new weeds in my flower beds, and I have to start nurturing those flowers again, but if I keep at it the beauty keeps coming!  So don't expect it to stick once the beauty is shining through. 

Remember:  It's A Process!


Love,
Becca

2 comments:

  1. So true indeed, a refining process! And as Isaiah says, God will give you a crown of beauty instead of ashes, an oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. It is OKAY to continue to cry and grieve with HOPE!! After all, God gave us our emotions. Praying daily for you, Chad and Ella!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a lot of work and so hard some days, but I definitely want to choose flowers in this walk of life! Thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete