We preserve foods so we can keep and use them over long periods of time. Just as the Word of God has been preserved for us down through the ages. Later this year we will enjoy peaches, applesauce, apple butter, hot mustard relish, and lots more because I spent the time preparing and preserving them. Do you take the time to enjoy the Word that was preserved for us? Because the benefits reaped from it far outweigh the delicious foods we will enjoy in the months ahead. Get in the Word, He wrote it for you and me!
Now for the relish:
Recipe courtesy Uncle PD
40 Hot peppers (banana or jalapeño, I use the latter)
1 quart yellow mustard
3 pounds brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1. Remove seeds from peppers and grind or chop them into small pieces. (The zip is in the seeds, so leave in more for hotter relish, or take them all out for milder relish)
Note: You might want to wear gloves when chopping the peppers because they will irritate sensitive skin and will burn your eyes or tongue if you touch them later, yes even after washing your hands.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the peppers in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook (slow boil) for 20 minutes.
Add slowly to the pepper mixture, stirring constantly. Cook for 5 minutes, continuing to stir constantly to prevent relish from burning. Makes 6 pints.
3. Can the relish in hot jars and lids. Place in the canner of hot water until the water is an inch above jars. Put lid on loosely, and hot water bath for 10 minutes.
Would you like to try a jar of the relish? I will be more than happy to send a jar to one of you!
Yep, you got it, you have to enter the drawing. :)
- You must have a CONUS or APO address to enter
- To have your name entered, leave a comment on this post or email me with your comment
- To have your name entered a 2nd time, leave another comment with your favorite preservation from God's Word
- The drawing will end at midnight, Wednesday August 25, 2010.