Saturday, August 28, 2010

Letting Go


If you have had to let go of something you care deeply about (and I am sure we all have), you know that you continue to wonder what you will have to let go of next.

Can we learn to be like Job and hold loosely to the gifts God has given us?  It all belongs to Him, but I am very quick to worry about what else I will have to let go of.

Will I accept the promise that God can be enough?








Look at the conversation between Job and the Lord in chapter 40 of Job.  God began by asking Job to admit his inferiority, and naturally Job did.  He lowered himself and claimed his guilt.  But then God went on.
Look at verses 8-14
"Would you indeed annul My judgment?  Would you condemn Me that you may be justified?
Have you an arm like God? Or can you thunder with a voice like His?
Then adorn yourself with majesty and splendor, And array yourself with glory and beauty.
Disperse the rage of your wrath; Look on everyone who is proud, and humble him.
Look on everyone who is proud, and bring him low; tread down on the wicked in their place.
Hide them in the dust together, Bind their faces in hidden darkness.
Then I will also confess to you that your own right hand can save you."

Take a moment and let that sink in.  When I realized what God was saying to Job I was speechless before the Lord.  He is also saying it to me.

If you know better for yourself than I do, then you should take over being God.

Lately, I have found myself telling God what I need and what I want to happen so that I can have the life I desire.  I wanted to see God do a work, and I told Him what I wanted Him to do.  Essentially I was telling God that I knew better than He!  I was not willing to accept the place where He has put me right now.
I was trying to be God.

Job 41:10 says we would be better off fighting a dinosaur or killer shark than trying to contend with God.

That joy and peace and love will not come until we let go, lay it all ...ALL... on the altar and let God be God.  He is leading me, and clearing the path as I go.  He is my shepherd, I need to be more like the sheep and simply follow.

I had to get on my knees and ask the Lord for His mercy.  And from that moment on, my day took a turn and my eyes began to shift back to Him.  It is awesome how the Word of God will change you if you get in it and if you let it.

Love,
Becca

1 comment:

  1. so true, thanks for writing this, I needed to hear it :)

    ReplyDelete